Fishing Conditions, River Flows, and Weather
We had a good season last year with decent water until the end of summer when it got very dry due to the lack of monsoon flow we normally get. The insect hatches were very good, and the rivers fished well throughout summer and into fall. We’re hoping for a good snowpack this winter and a strong runoff this spring, to fill the rivers and reservoirs again.
If you’re out there fishing, please take good care of the trout by handling them as little as possible and always with wet hands. Please help protect this valuable resource and do your part on the river, especially during the rainbow trout spawn in the spring.
For a general overview of insect activity throughout the season, see the Hatches page. It also includes general timing of the hatches and some recommended fly patterns to use. As I get out to fish, I will post updates and info on the blog during the season.
Visit the links below to check river flows and weather before planning a trip to the area:
- USGS real-time river flow info – Gunnison River at the East Portal
- USGS real-time river flow info – Gunnison River at Delta
- USGS real-time river flow info – North Fork Gunnison River below Paonia
- USGS real-time river flow info – Uncompahgre River below Ridgway Reservoir (Paco)
- NOAA local weather forecast for Montrose